Sunday, November 1, 2009

YES

Two nights ago I watched Yes Man, with Jim Carrey. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. It's a story about Carl, a man who divorces life after his wife leaves him. He hides in his apartment and says no to everything. He's convinced by an acquaintance to check out a self-help program -- a guru who recommends to his followers that they say yes to every and any opportunity that comes up in their lives. Unleashing the power of "YES" transforms Carl‘s life in amazing and unexpected ways. It's a very inspiring movie, and got me thinking a lot about how we use "YES" in our lives.

I think about all the "crazy" things I've said YES to: flying to Amsterdam for a weekend, leaving a high-paying corporate law job to take an unpaid position in Argentina, going sky diving, extending a 2-week trip to Thailand by another 4 weeks, dating an older man with 2 kids. Saying yes to these things has made my life immeasurably richer (and one resulted in my marrying my soul mate). Just the thought of having said no to any of these things makes me want to cry.

I believe the Universe is constantly sending us wonderful opportunities that will make our lives richer, happier, and much more wonderful if we just say YES to them! What fun and magic are you missing because you're saying no to it? Just for one day, say YES to every request and opportunity that comes up for you. I bet you'll be amazed by the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment